As the year begins to wind down, the cooler temperatures can also trigger the onset of dry irritated skin and with the holidays fast approaching, our stress levels can really go through the roof! Just like in our everyday lives, stress can have an adverse effect on our skin.
Stress causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin the reactive and more sensitive. It can also make it more difficult for skin problems to heal. When you are stressed, you may also break out causing spots and blemishes to start appearing and result is that skin can become quite damaged. This is because stress causes your body to produce cortisol and other hormones, which tells your sebaceous glands to produce more oil. Oily skin is then more prone to acne and other skin problems.
Stress can also worsen skin problems like rosacea and psoriasis, interfere with daily skin care and make individuals so embarrassed that they prefer to keep to themselves, which adds more stress thereby worsening the problem.
If you have a skin problem that doesn’t heal or keeps coming back, you certainly want to see a dermatologist, but may want to reconsider how you handle stress.
While it is impossible to avoid stress completely, there are ways to cope.
- Don’t neglect your skin. Take care of your skin, even if you are too tired or stressed out to go through the routine.
- Exercise regularly. It’s good for your skin and the rest of your body.
- Take time for yourself to do something you enjoy, even it’s just for a few minutes every day.
- Practice stress management techniques, such as breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, or visual imagery.
- Sleep!! The body needs rest to function properly, so, get enough sleep. Seven to eight hours each night is ideal
- Talk to someone. Seek support from a friend or even a professional therapist, if it’s necessary.
- Stick to a no fuss, skin care regimen that contains no chemicals or un-necessary ingredients. Radiant RG-Cell® Cosmeceuticals range of products are practical, easy to use and take the guess work out of what is safe, calming and gentle for your skin. The pleasant natural scent in these products can also soothe the senses and literally take the stress out of your skin care regimen.
While more studies are needed regarding the personalities individuals studied and how they perceive stressful situations. Staying positive and optimistic can keep skin healthier, according to professionals in the health care industry. A study released in July 2013 showed that Optimists handle stress (link)
Top dermatologists have agreed that the best way to keep skin looking great is by reducing stressors, listening to calming music, getting enough sleep each night to reduce cortisol levels, and paying attention to beauty product labels.”Use the best products you can find containing antioxidants, like green tea and vitamin C. You can also look for products containing peptides. These all stimulate collagen production.” These ingredients are found in abundance in our RG-CELL® range of products.
Get ready to relax, love the skin you are in, nurture and treat it gently and enjoy the holidays!